Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Mike Malinin



Today we have an awesome Q&A with Mike Malinin. Mike is the drummer of not one, but two bands: Goo Goo Dolls and Forty Marshas. The Goo Goo Dolls exploded in the 90's with hits like "Name" and "Iris." Click HERE to see the lyric video of their latest song from the Transformers 3 soundtrack.

Thanks to Suzanne Casamento, Mike kindly agreed to fill us in on what he's reading and more.

QUICK Q&A with MIKE MALININ
1. How many books do you read on an average tour?

I'm not sure how many books I read on a average tour. It depends on the content and the length. I mean, I read "War and Peace" while on tour. I also read shorter novels. And a lot of history books. So I guess the best answer is, I read a lot.

2. Do you read paper books or use an e-reader? (If an e-reader, which kind?)

Both. I have a Kindle, and it's loaded. But I still love buying books. I'm the guy who kept buying records long after CDs became the standard. So I'm slow to accept change. The Kindle is awfully convenient for traveling, but I like having the hard copies if it's something I want to keep.
3. Do you read rock biographies? Have the Goo Goo Dolls ever considered penning one?

I recently read Keith Richards' book. And I've read a few other rock bios in the past, but I don't really read that many of them. I haven't heard of anybody who plans on writing a Goo Goo Dolls bio. I doubt one of us ever would.

4. What is your all time favorite book and/or what are you currently reading?

I'm currently reading a couple of books. "America Aflame" by David Goldfield and "Gilgamesh" by Joan London. The Goldfield book is a history book about the Civil War that really gives amazing insight into some of the causes and mindsets of Americans before, during, and immediately after the war. So far it's amazing. It touches on many of the questions I always had about the war. So if that's your thing, I highly recommend it.

The other book is a novel by an Australian writer about an Australian woman who travels to Armenia on the eve of the Second World War. There are obviously many references to "The Epic of Gilgamesh", hence the title of the book. It was published about ten years ago. I think I just bought it on a whim. She's a great writer. Very vivid.

I like reading at least a couple books at once. One novel and one history book usually works well for me.

Favorite books? Hmmm. "Galapagos" by Kurt Vonnegut Jr is pretty important to me. More recently, I was blown away by "2666" by Roberto Bolano. Another classic favorite that I share with a lot of people is "100 Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.


5. What is your favorite song to perform live?

It depends. Usually ones that we don't play too often. I really liked playing "Falling Down" on the most recent tour. And I always like playing "Iris."

Thank you so much, Mike, for stopping by and promoting great literature! I love that you read "War and Peace" once while touring. I imagine not many musicians can claim that! I'm looking forward to seeing Goo Goo Dolls live next month!

You can find out more about Mike and his bands at their websites.
http://www.googoodolls.com/
http://www.fortymarshas.com/

You can follow Mike here, too!
www.facebook.com/mikemalinin
www.twitter.com/mikemalinin

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that Mike likes to have the hard copies of the books ~ I like to turn pages and feel a book in my hands. Kindles are great for traveling, but I love a good stack of books at home!
I have always loved the Goo Goo Dolls and would love to read their story!
My favorite GGD song is "Let Love In" and I hope to get to hear it when we see them live next month!!! Great article, Kelly!!!! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

P.S. I am also amazed that Mike enjoys reading two books at one time...that's a die hard reader right there!!! :)

storyqueen said...

I just heard Iris on the radio the other day and was reminded of what a super awesome song that was!

Yay for rockin' readers!

Shelley

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

Great Q and A with some fabulous book recommendations.
And "Iris" might be one of my all time favorite songs.

Suzanne Casamento said...

Great interview Kelly! So glad you two connected! :)

Kelly Polark said...

Sue - Can't wait til we go see them live together next month!
Shelley - Iris is definitely a super awesome song! They have so many good ones.
Cynthia - I love finding out more about people by their book choices.
Suzanne - THANK YOU!

Marisa Hopkins said...

Awesome interview!! I love how he reads one history book with one novel. How cool! And now I have a few items to add to my to-read list.

Heather Kelly said...

Great interview, Kelly and Mike! I approach my e-reader just the same was as Mike--sometimes I have to go out and buy the hard copy after downloading to the e-reader. Some books I need to hold!

I always think of being on tour as a crazy and hectic time. I am amazed that Mike can get so much reading in. I wonder how he finds the peace and quiet. (Or maybe I have the wrong impression of what being on tour entails!)

Thanks for the candidness today, Mike!!

Anita said...

I love the questions and answers here! While all your posts have been enjoyable so far, this is the first one from which I will actually take recommendations and READ the books...some sound quite like my tastes and it's cool to see this "other side" of a rocker.

I think it's interesting that he likes to have hard copies of books that he'll read again. I'm the opposite. Knowing that I either have my favorite books on my ereader or can easily download them is more comforting to me than actually having a hard copy.

Awesome job...can't wait to read these recs and see more from this blog. Thanks to you and your rocker!!!

Jonathon Arntson said...

I saw the Goo Goo Dolls in concert a few years ago and it was amazing. I like the perspective Mike has on reading, it seems well-rounded.

Thanks for sharing another reader, Kelly!

Tina Laurel Lee said...

I would say 100 Years of Solitude is my favorite book! Mike, have you read The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. My husband sort of laments having read this book, although he picked it up and couldn't put it down. And I think it may have moved me as much as 100 Years. The writing is as lovely as the subject is horrific. I am def looking for Gilgamesh.

Thanks for the interview, K. This blog is such a fabulous project!!!!!!

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

So love this, Kelly! Inspiring reader. Can't believe how much he reads on tour. Fantastic!

Also, want to comment on Tina Laurel's fave book--100 Years of Solitude is one of my all time faves as well. Such an amazing book. Magical realism at its best.

Kelly Polark said...

Marisa - Yes, so many interesting books listed!
Heather - I am thinking since there is a lot of travel time, that is a good time to read.
Anita - I am such a paper books person right now. I can't even give away picture books my kids have grown out of. But I know I will change to an ereader person too when I run out of room!
Jon - I am looking forward to seeing them live next month!

Tina - I love how your husband lamented reading it yet he couldn't stop! Thanks for your support!
Carol- I agree that this post is inspiring. There are just so many great books out there. My To Be Read list is looooong!

Samantha Vérant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Samantha Vérant said...

I haven't even read War & Peace. Go Mike! You have some lofty reads listed there. Rock on.

Denise Maple said...

I love the Goo Goo Dolls. And I want to read Keith Richards book! I'm sure it's super interesting.

Kristi said...

Love the Goo Goo Dolls!

Another great interview Kelly, this concept of mixing music and books is blowing my mind. It's chock full of fun! :)

DEZMOND said...

never heard of him before, but I do like that he read WAR AND PEACE and that he, like me, loves historical novels :)

Gary Gauthier said...

Kelly, Thanks for introducing us to Mile Malinin. One thing him and I have in common is that we both read fiction and nonfictionat the same time. Thanks also for visiting and commenting on the Charles Dickens snippet.

Register domain said...

It is really nice to hear your discussion on specific topic here. I too agree with your points here. keep posting good blogs. Thanks.Register Website

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I'll have to send this link to Susan, Kelly. She loves the Goo Goo Dolls. I love that he's read War and Peace.

Christina Farley said...

Rocking interview! I love the Goo Goo Dolls.

Susan Fields said...

Great interview! I am a HUGE Goo Goo Dolls fan (just ask my kids who are sick and tired of listening to the same few CDs over and over and over!) I really love this new blog, Kelly!

Susan Fields said...

Oh, and I just saw Sharon's comment and yes, she did indeed email me the link to this post because she knew I'd love it!