Monday, October 31, 2011

Robert Englund

Happy Halloween! Do I have the perfect actor to feature today or what?

Robert Englund plays one of the most recognizable characters in horror movies. Yes, Freddy Krueger of the Nightmare on Elm Street film franchise. Englund has an extensive list of film and television roles spanning over thirty years. You can see him tonight in a guest-starring role in a spooky episode of Hawaii Five-0 on CBS. Despite his frightening character's persona, Robert is known to be a congenial, fan-friendly man.
See?

What does Robert like to read?

Robert's wife, Nancy, was kind enough to ask Robert and emailed me with his favorites.
Robert's favorite recent books include Jennifer Egan's A Visit From the Goon Squad and Three Junes by Julia Glass. As a kid he loved Kidnapped and Treasure Island by Robert Lewis Stevenson and A European Education by Romain Gary.

You can find out more about Robert at robertenglund.com.
Photo from Wikimediacommons.

13 comments:

Christina Lee said...

Um, excuse me, did you say SHE ASKED HIM FOR YOU?!?! Shall I bow down to you now?!?!

DEZMOND said...

oh, my, Freddy is the reason I was afraid of dark as a kid. Oh, who am I kidding, I'm still afraid of dark because of him...

Anita said...

He's actually handsome without all the scary. And what interesting reads!

julie fedderson said...

What? No horror? Love his childhood picks.

MG Higgins said...

I'm with Anita. He's a good-looking guy! I like his reading choices.

Tina Laurel Lee said...

I love that he is represented here in full gory and without. I feel like I have heard of The Three Junes before... Going to check.

Bish Denham said...

Wow, you've got some "ins" Kelly! I like that he liked Robert Louis Stevenson.

Kelly Polark said...

Christina - He's fan friendly! :)
Dezz - YEs, definitely a character that is hard to shake!
Anita - I liked his eclectic choices.
Julie - Good point! Definitely no horror listed here!
Mel - Yes, he looks so much better without the Freddy makeup!
Tina - Yes, I definitely had to show both sides of him!
Bish - Yes, so glad he listed some classic favorites.

Denise Maple said...

When I saw the first Freddie Krueger movie, I thought it was the scariest movie I had ever seen!

Susan Fields said...

I absolutely love this new blog, Kelly - it's so fun to hear about what celebrities are reading!

Draven Ames said...

This is a really cool blog. I never would have guessed half of these books with Englund. I pictured him more of a Clive Barker fan.

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

So, that's what Freddy is reading. Makes him more civilized and human. : ) Actually, it's fun to see him with and without the Freddy makeup, too.

Jeremy Bates said...

its funny... this guy was so creepy as freddy, i can never look at him as robert without thinking creep! lol

i do like him though